Dave Mundt

On 11 Mar 2005 13:35:28 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

gandalf wrote:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

snip

1. Trust the tape measure/ruler more than any plan... especially any plan
I created.

snip

I try to stick with one measuring device per project. Usually my favorite
is the 60" straight edge. Especially compared to a worn tape measure with
an end that will vary between a "pull" measure and a "Push" measure (
loose rivets.)

-----------------
I'm sure that wear and tear will get them in the end. But the 'loose' rivets
are loose for good reason. They ensure that a measured 'push' or 'pull' is
the same as the movement equals exactly the thickness of the end tab.

That's why I mentioned a worn tape measure. Being a fella who can't
always throw things away when their life is used up, one of my old tapes
is missing a rivet and the other rivet allows for about a 1/8" movement
from being almost out! Plus, that remaining rivet will catch the tape
1/4" off the mark! I try to grab the new 30 footer when I can, but it
is nice to have multi tapes everywhere, within reach most all of the time.

Well, that is a good point...Although, when a measuring tool gets
THAT worn, I tend to give it a good burial. But then, I rarely manage
to keep a tape measure long enough to get it worn to that point.
I am fairly sure that there must be about 20 of them hiding
in nooks and crannies of my workshop (which gets back to the comments
elsewhere on cluttered shops), so I am doing the best I can to keep
Stanley, et al, in business by buying new tapes.
Regards
Dave Mundt