John Rumm

Default Replacing downstairs bog - soil pipe problems

Jon Taylor wrote:

So, how do I plumb in the new bog so it fits into the existing soil
pipe? Presumably I will need to cut the existing clay pipe squarely
off. I've read on this newgroup that I could:
a) Use an angle grinder
b) Use a soil pipe cutter tool hired from HSS (about 15 quid for a
days hire)
c) Carefully cut it using a hammer and chisel.

I feel a bit uneasy about using an angle grinder on a soil pipe - and
also the hammer and chisel. Sounds a receipe for disaster, one slip
and I have to start again! So I think that using the soil pipe cutter
tool might be the best option. But how easy are these things to use?
If I get this missus to hold the pipe to stop it flapping about, am I
likely to knacker it up. Any tips for me on how to use it?

Not sure if you are going to have space to use a soil pipe cutter. These
are usually quite long (approx 4' handles) and need to work
perpendicular to the pipe you are cutting. They have a toothed chain at
the business end. You lap the chain round the pipe and then hook the end
over a lug on jaws of the tool. You then squeeze the handles of the
cutter, and this pulls the chain very tightly round the pipe forcing the
teeth on the chain into the outer surface of the pipe. The pipe should
then (in theory) snap with a nice square ended break where the chain was.

They work well on nice new soil pipe you get from a builders merchant -
they are less predictable on old salt glazed pipes, and you may find you
need several stabs at a cut to get a clean break.

With older pipes or confined access you may well find a small angle
grinder with masonary disc is actually easier.

As for fitting it to the new bog, presumably I get a plastic adapter
to connect inside the clay pipe and mastic it in. Then have a section
of pipe with a bend in it, then connect to the 'P' trap?

You can get adaption collers with rubber O ring in them that will let
you join to the old pipe and then carry on in plastic. Not sure on what
the regulations are regarding use of mastics on these things though.

--
Cheers,

John.