John A. Weeks III

In article , Seller
wrote:

I am a male, 50's, inexperienced with real estate issues. My
mother died last June and during her final days I had the
power of attorney. I had to take care of all matters and
plan the funeral and things worked out pretty well.

Given your first line, I'd suggest getting a real estate
agent. You need professional advice.

I have two quotes so far about the painting ($2,000) and the
floors ($2,500) and the kitchen could range from $3,000
(quickie throw together) to easily $10,000 or more.

You are on the right track with your calculations. But there
is a key variable that you did not consider...you do not
get a $10,000 benefit from a $10,000 expense. In the case
of painting, it might only cost $2000, but it make increase
the selling price by $15,000. The kitchen might cost $15,000
to fix up, but it may only add $5500 to the price of the house.

You need to figure out the cost and benefit of each repair
item. If the price increase is more than the cost, then do
it. If the cost is more the price increase, then consider
dropping it. Only do what you have to in order to sell the
house. New buyers often want to do their own fix-up work
and decorating, and these same new buyers often underestimate
the cost and work involved. This plays into your favor here.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com