F. George McDuffee

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:34:06 -0600, Rex B wrote:

You make the complete toolpost?
That serrated base looks like a non-novice undertaking.

snip
good point.

We found the major PITA for machining is not angular positioning
but tool height. We don't normally use the base at all. We have
Emco lathes with a stud in the compound rather than a t slot. We
did however make up a base using a rectangular plate 3/16 thick
with a spot drilled holes at the right radius. These were
located using careful layout and a pin type locator. We get good
angular repeatability.

We just purchased a rotary table as part of our gear making
project [see thread on this about xmas time] and will try making
a serrated base.

Some of our students want to be gunsmiths and are interested in
fabricating a "armstong" slotter that they can use for cutting
the space for the extractor when rebarreling rifles. I have
located some pictures and plans for two english units. Anyone
made one of these? Any comments or suggestions?

GmcD