Daniel A. Mitchell

Rex B wrote:

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:

For a 12" lathe you'd likely want the '200' series (aka; "BX' series)
size.

May be true. The 12" is right on the line.
Depending on space between top of compound and CL of spindle, either may
work. Should be a simple measurement of existing AXA and BXA toolposts:
lowest toolbit height with largest (1/2" or 5/8") bit, and highest
height with smallest (1/4"?) bit. CL needs to be within that range. Right?

Sounds about right. The 12" should work with either the AXA or BXA
series. I suggested the BXA size on the theory that the largest that
will fit will give the best performance. Cost is little different. The
key factor is the tool height relative to the lathe axis height.

At home I have a Logan 10", and use the AXA series. I wouldn't want any
larger for THIS lathe, but the AXA works well, and is a big improvement
over the lantern style post. For larger tool bits I cut down some of the
toolholders (lowered the slot). It weakens the holder a bit, but I've
not found that to be a problem, they still work well.

At work I have a 14" Rockwell, and use the BXA size post. It MIGHT work
with one size larger, but the BXA meets all my needs on that size lathe.

Dan Mitchell