meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:28:15 GMT "Travis
Jordan" posted:

meirman wrote:
It had a lot of vaseline or something, that the Soldapullt maker
recommends, and I believe him that it won't ruin things quickly. But
after a while, vaseline will ruin latex. The thinner the quicker,
which is why they recommend against it for condoms. O-rings aren't
that thin, and they might not be latex, but in another thread
somewhere,

in another thread on *another* subject.

I saw vaseline recommended precisely because it made rubber
soft. In some situation it made things fit or seal better. If I end
up lubricating this o-ring, maybe I'll use KY jelly.

Don't use a water soluble lubricant - silicon lube is best for the
O-ring. That's what Soldapullt includes with the rebuild kit.

OK. I have that too.

But I'm pretty sure also on the soldapullt webpage they recommended
vaseline for some reason.

http://www.hvwtech.com/pages/product...?ProductID=444

Yeah, it does. I wonder why:

"1. Open the unit (it simply twists apart) and remove any solder that
has collected inside.
2. Use a cloth or paper towel to clean the o-ring, the plunger
assembly and the chamber.
3. Inspect the o-ring for wear -is the side worn flat where it touches
the chamber wall ? If only slightly worn, cleaning and regreasing the
unit will be sufficient. If not, replace the o-ring
4. Smear a small amount of Vaseline around the o-ring
(strictly-speaking, you shouldn't use a pertoleum product like
Vaseline on a rubber o-ring but we've been doing this for years with
excellent results).
5. Reassemble the unit and test for proper suction. If the suction is
not satisfactory, you can try a little more Vaseline on the o-ring. If
that helps, then the o-ring should really be replaced.

For removing surface-mount devices, we suggest ChipQuik"

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.