AAvK

I have to ask. What kind of slamming did you do to the chisels. I keep
reading similar posts in the news group. I conclude that the wood is very hard or . . .

"Slamming" as in a manner of speaking, using the chisel with a mallet.

I'm not an expert, but I have built two rocking chairs with over 40 m&t joints each, using blue handled marples bench chisels and
never had that kind of problem. One chair was walnut and the other was mesquite.

Those are tauted to be made with decent steel anyway.

I'm curious if technique might have some bearing on all these bad chisels we keep hearing about. (Not you, but many other wood
workers)

Any use of a chisel has bearing on it.

Having written the nonsense above, FWW has a video by Jim Cummings, "Small Shop. Tips and Techniques". It deals with many things,
one of which is sharpening chisels and includes a very good session on removing the temper from the steel, shaping the steel as
required and then setting the proper temper.

Also as I re-read my post, I'll add the following.

I keep a leather strop, charged with a sharpening compound close at hand. When an edge develops a burr, a couple of passes on the
strop normally takes care of it. I don't use scary sharp techniques. I prefer diamond EZ-lap hones. I suppose I expect chisels to
turn under with use.
I think the burring issue is why many wood workers use micro bevels.
I typically do not use them, but on one of my hand planes I do use it.

I am doing the "Scary Sharp" method, works fantastic, and I know how to
do it quite well. I wouldn't want to scratch up my expensive strop leather
(I have horse butt hide) with those burs.

My original question really meant: "Is it normal and acceptable that these
chisels are doing this...???" ...kind of thing.