Waynemak

I had a 1976 with a simple fuel injection system, I also worked at a dealer
in 1986 ish the 1974-1989 (I think 1989) had more power than the next
generation. same specs but the older "b" motors just ran like raped apes, I
think they under rated there HP.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:01:45 -0500, Artemia Salina
wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:39:01 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

AFAIK sodium filled valve stems operated on the thermosyphon principle.
The sodium "absorbed" heat by evaporating at the part of the stem near
the valve head and delivered it to the other end where the sodium
condensed and the heat it gave off was transferred out through the valve
guides.

Somewhat similar to "heat pipes" but without the wick inside:

http://www.thermacore.com/hpt.htm

Thanks for all the responses. As food for thought, what got me
looking at IC engine valves was the idea to remove the cam, rocker
arms, lifters, and etc. and replace it all with computer controlled
solenoid actuators.

If you're looking for a solidly made, easy to work on engine with
sodium valves, any Saab 2 Liter engine since about 1978 (maybe earlier)
will have the sodium filled exhaust valves. I'd pick a mid-1980's
or later turbo engine, personally, but you can choose between an 8
valve and a 16 valve head for the later ones. Well built engines,
excellent for experimentation. If you get one with the Bosch CIS
fuel injection (up to about '86), fuel management is simply handled.