Al A.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:43:18 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

294 is a type of "wrench" used to remove steam pipe fittings.
i always saw them used to install and remove the union that goes
on the inlet of a steam radiator in home heating systems. The nipple
had two little ribs cast on the ID of the pipe that the tool would
engage in the cutouts. The steps are for different sized nipples,
and the square section is for a wrench to turn it with.
Can't remember what these are called, though...

As I mentioned in another post, the seller told me it was for fixing dented
pipes, but your answer sounds more likely. On one side of this tool it
says "Chicago Spec. Mfg. Co." and the other side says "Malleable Iron
Taiwan". Please let me know if you remember what it's called, I've been
looking on the web but haven't found anything like it yet.

Rob

Rob,
Here is a link to a similar tool. It is referred to here as a
"radiator step wrench", but that seems to be at term used in the UK,
where this site is from.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/241-38

I am sure there is another name for this. It is a sort of colloquial
name like "Spud wrench" (though that is not what this is) or
something. Up here in New England, we still have lots of homes with 60
& 70 year old steam heating systems. I have seen these tools used
before.
Gonna call my plumber buddy tomorrow....

-AL