C.A. Decker

Actually this is a common misconception. The actual reading of the disc
is a totally analogue process. The reflected optical signal from the
pits on the CD is not a strict "one" or "zero". The signal varies within
a lower range which we call a "zero", and a higher range which we call a
"one". There is a "guard" band between these two signal levels. It is
only the digital circuitry that comes after the disc reading process that
causes "binning" of the two signals into either a "one" or a "zero". It
may not happen very often, but it is possible to introduce errors at the
analogue reading stage. How this may or may not affect the sound I'll
leave for others to debate. However, recall that many moons ago jitter
was ridiculed and totally dismissed in the press as being an implausable
cause for any affect on the sound. If I recall, it was one of these so-
called nut case audiophiles that originally discovered and measured this
effect. I do believe that low jitter circuitry is now pretty much
standard in any decent quality digital equipment. Cheers.

Do you have an actual study to back that up? The problem is, it's a
digital storage medium. They're either zeros or ones.