Tud

Jeff Wisnia wrote...
Tud wrote:

I guess my question, aside from wondering if this is doable, is whether
or not there's a company around that would be able to make such a broach,
or am I totally off base on how the whole process might work? I located
in Canada if that makes a difference as to what companies to recommend.

Thanks,
Tony

I couldn't see the number and size of the splines in the part in your
photo, but I'd say that broaching is the way to go, particularly if they
are rather shallow cuts. Probably best to leave cutting the clamping slot
until after you do the broaching.

I don't have the number on hand, but they're definately not cut very deep.

Are you planning on making these for just one make and model of bike? Are
the shifter shafts the same size on other bikes?

I was planning on making just one size, fortunately it will fit serveral
makes and model years of older Triumphs, and possibly other British bikes.

Just Googling up "broach" will get you plenty of manufacturers who will
give you a quote for what you need, once you send them a drawing of your
part and tell them what the material is. Be aware that you will probably
suffer sticker shock when you get the price.

Yeah, I'm guessing the price may stop me dead in my tracks.

Frankly, I'm a bit dubious about your being able to come up with anything
along the lines of what your photos show which will take the strain of a
few unintended hard pulls, pushes or knocks without failing somehow. I
think you putting just too much leverage on a small splined shaft, but
YMMV.

You're likely right, my plan is to use aluminum to limit the weight on the
spline and make the end around the spline beefier than the one in the
picture.

Good luck,

Thanks, I'll google for some manufacturers.

--
Tud
AH#115 SENS BS#111 LFS#32 FLF MISFIT