Jeff Wisnia

Tud wrote:

I guess my question, aside from wondering if this is doable, is whether or
not there's a company around that would be able to make such a broach, or am
I totally off base on how the whole process might work? I located in Canada
if that makes a difference as to what companies to recommend.

Thanks,
Tony

I couldn't see the number and size of the splines in the part in your
photo, but I'd say that broaching is the way to go, particularly if they
are rather shallow cuts. Probably best to leave cutting the clamping
slot until after you do the broaching.

Are you planning on making these for just one make and model of bike?
Are the shifter shafts the same size on other bikes?

Just Googling up "broach" will get you plenty of manufacturers who will
give you a quote for what you need, once you send them a drawing of your
part and tell them what the material is. Be aware that you will probably
suffer sticker shock when you get the price.

Frankly, I'm a bit dubious about your being able to come up with
anything along the lines of what your photos show which will take the
strain of a few unintended hard pulls, pushes or knocks without failing
somehow. I think you putting just too much leverage on a small splined
shaft, but YMMV.

Good luck,

Jeff

--