billh

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A question....

Does it matter if a transformer is wound with aluminum or copper if the
transformer is designed for the type of metal used?

I would consider that copper would be denser and a better heat
conductor but shouldn't aluminum be just as good if the core is
adjusted accordingly?

TMT

I don't think it matters, no. Although I doubt the aluminum-wound xformer
is quite as good as it could be were it copper-wound, mine works fine and
so does everyone else's that I know of. - GWE

Unless they make the conductors a bit larger there will be increased heating
of the transformer since the resistance of aluminum is higher than copper.
Also, you have to take more care when making connections to the ends of the
winding. Your whole outside electrical grid uses aluminum so it ain't that
bad. I wonder if they use aluminum or copper inside the pole transformers?
Billh