Marc

alan smith wrote:
Criticise when you have a little understanding of the manufacturing,
storage and distribution systems, not because you think 'it's a little
bit of plastic that costs peanuts to make'. That is only a small part
of getting *any* part to a customer. The part is probably a cent, but
that is not the major part of any spare part cost for anything.

Fair point, I don't work for HP. I live opposite their UK HQ tho ) You
do work for them then?

Then there are taxes, transport costs ........

How these costs are assigned to parts are down to a company- perhaps it
is individually costed- guess what? That adds to the price you pay.
Perhaps they apportion an equal share to every part, whatever its
value.
That is up to the company. You don't like the result? Buy elsewhere-
but all companies must cover their costs or they won't be here to sell
you those spare parts you like to moan about.

Since HP make many of these anyway (for their new models) your argument
makes no sense. I was not suggesting they setup a new production line
for just one battery cover - but I'm sure you knew that ).
If they have 2 million being made for new devices evey month, it does
not cost them $24 to assign one of those to be posted out to customers
who need them to be replaced. Its a known design "flaw" in the 2210
that if you drop it, the battery cover is the first thing that brakes
(maybe not a flaw, since its better than the whole case taking impact) -
so there is probably a high demand for repacements anyway. $10 for
postage maybe?

Please just don't compare a PDA to a car! Ford replacements generally
are cheaper than other car replacements over here, as they are near
enough expected to go wrong at some time.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.