Larry Jaques

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:24:24 GMT, the inscrutable Jim Wheeler
spake:

I usually use denatured alcohol to clean the items before i start to
finish them - both cleans and when the alcohol is still wet, shows
pretty well
what the final piece looks like - will often show up glue and other
imperfections that need cleaned up before applying finish.

Ditto here. I use either alcohol, lacquer thinner, or acetone (now
that I have some) to clean every piece which will be finished. The
solvent removes dust, oil, and most contaminants which would otherwise
ruin the finish, and it shows you where more work needs to be done,
such as scratches, scuffs, and splinters/hard edges.

And, no, stale beer doesn't work like denatured alcohol.

OTOH, it WOULD be better tasting.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----