Lurch

Default Generator standby wiring question (again)

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:30:26 +0100 (BST), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Liquorice"
strung together this:

Are you suggesting fitting a switch to the earth? I do hope not,
it's a serious contravention of BS7671. What if the switch was to go
faulty on the earth pole alone?

Same as "forgetting" to adjust the manual link or dis/reconnect it
that you where suggesting, even if the latter obeys the regs I feel it
is rather to prone to Sods Law.

But human error can knacker any good theory, if someone were to
'forget' to switch off the CU then disastrous consequences could occur
when the genny was fired up. A faulty switch is beyond human control.

To detect a naff switch, wire a neon across the poles. If the neon on
the closed side glows you have a problem...

I think we're in bodging territory now. If you want to fit a switch to
the main earth then go ahead, I would strongly advise against it and
would never do it myself though.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.