David W.E. Roberts

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"chris French" wrote in message

One reason is that the oven is at chest height so it is safe and easy to
get
stuff in and out, and easier to look through the glass door to see what

is
going on.
I have never liked bending down to an oven under a hob.

Yep, that is the main reason I prefer separate ovens

But you have to have space in your kitchen ... :-(

I've never felt that a low oven is unsafe though, why should it be? I
wouldn't be keen on taking out a very hot casserole at head or chest

height.
I agree about seeing into the oven but we don't really *need* to do that,
surely?

You seem in particularly Trollish mood in this thread, Mary :-)

So, which is safer?

(1) Lifting out a hot casserole from an oven shelf that is at the same
height as the worksurface and transferring it to said worksurface.

(2) Bending down with consequent risk to your back then reaching into a hot
oven whilst bent double, extracting a hot casserole, then straightening up
to place the casserole on the worksurface?

I would suggest that (1) would be assesed as safer by most experts.
I would also suggest that (2) would be assesed as unsafe for people of
limited mobility, e.g. due to age and/or infirmity.

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. don't think anyone so far has proposed siting the oven at head height.