Martin Angove

Default Help! RCD Keeps tripping on new wiring

In message ,
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

Martin Angove wrote:

Bloomin' Volexes that I've been using are even more confusing. There is
no numbering on the MCBs, but the (already split) neutral is numbered
(IIRC) 1 to 8 (L to R) non-RCD, and 8 to 1 (L to R) on the RCD side

I don't get these issues. RCBOs rule!

I'm sorry, but if it's a choice between a Screwfix populated split-load
Volex (RCD and 10 MCBs) for £60, or similarly populated Wylex for £75 and
£250 (yes, TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS) or more for half a dozen RCBOs,
an unpopulated CU and a few MCBs then very few of my clients will see the
logic of the latter, especially if the RCBOs are of the two-module variety
and so for the same number of circuits I need to install more or bigger CUs.

Even in my own installation I've gone for a standard split-load with
just one RCBO feeding a radial to the utility room / outside socket.

If money were no object then individual RCBOs make sense, if only from a
discrimination point of view, but in the real world the difference
between £60 and £250 is a huge percentage of the parts cost of even a
complete rewire in most houses. I have recently finished a complete
rewire where the parts cost was about £400 - three rings, two radials,
two lights, cooker, shower, immersion, data, all new parts. They had a £60
CU, swapping that for a £250 one would have increased the parts cost by
some 50%

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... "Bother", said Pooh, as he failed the dope test.