Beachcomber

On 10 Mar 2005 19:50:06 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

use a remote line powered preamp near the antenna. Put it in the attic
if you want to be able to serivce it. You can use RG6 or even low
loss RG59 is you use a preamp near the antenna.

since yo uneed it for UHF only, try to find one that has only a little
gain at VHF.

The key to a good signal to noise is to have a minimum loss BEFORE the
fist amplifier. Putting the amplifier after the coax is NOT as good as
putting the amplifer before the coax.

But a few feet won't hurt so mounting it in the attic where you can get
to it easilly is a good compromise.

Mark

As a video pro, I recommend the higher quality RG-6/U with braided
shield.

Low quality RG-6 with a foil shield will both radiate and absorb
signals on similar channels (say... same channel cable and off-air
signals). If cable tv is not an issue, maybe the cheaper stuff will
work, but you can still have problems if, for example, there is a
channel 3 or 4 in your area and you use a VCR that re-radiates at that
channel.

I got tired of the ghosts, threw away all of the cheap RG6 with the
pre-molded connecters and put my own connectors on the best RG-6/U
that I could buy.

No more ghosts... and the best signals I've ever seen... These were
the results.

Beachcomber