Jim Yanik

Marc wrote in
:

The real "hewit packard" wrote:
My friends car broke down- it was his 3rd Ford. It needed a new
Ignition unit. You'd think they'd fit it for free for a returning
customer?
Not really.

Pay for your part- it's not HP's fault.

In the meanwhile poll all of the other machine makers to see who will
provide free parts out of warranty so you know where to buy next time.

What a pathetic excuse for a metaphor!
The big difference being an ignition unit actually does something, and
requires fitting - while a battery cover is simply a molded piece of
plastic with no moving parts. The original poster didn't want one free,
but one at a reasonable price. They cost peanuts to make, as I suspect a
few thousand fly off production lines every minute.

"Peanuts to make"(depending on number of parts in a single run),then
there's packaging,distribution,stocking costs and inventory taxes on the
parts.

And that battery cover DOES do something,it holds the batteries in.
Otherwise,he would not need it.

If it's just a "molded cover with no moving parts",then make a form,and
mold your own.You could glue the pieces of a broken cover back together,and
use that rubber casting material to make a mold for a new,intact one.(and
see how much it costs to do it!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik