Lowell Holmes

wrote in message
oups.com...

The typical complaint about Marples is the opposite of his complaint
about the vintage Bucks. Marples tend not to hold an edge implying
that they are too soft, hence the frequent honing you reccommend.

Perhpas the Buck should be ground to a steeper angle. Unless they
paring chisels in which case you shouldn't pound on them in the
first place.

--

FF

That was my point. If the chisels are adequately sharp, you don't need to
"pound" on them. I use a wooden mallet when making mortises. I never have
to pound on them to chop the mortises. It doesn't require that kind of
force. I have old wooden handled Stanleys, more modern plastic handled
Stanleys, wooden handled Soligan steel, Robert Sorby, Marples, and some
others. None of them require heavy handling.

If the chisel is burring when it is used, I'd think the steel tends to be
more ductile, if it chips, more brittle.

However, having said all that dumb stuff G, I keep reading posts about
people destroying their chisels. I just wonder what they are doing to cause
that, Tag Frid didn't pound his and in the videos I've watched, Frank Klausz
gives them a sharp rap, but nothing destructive. Rob Cosman doesn't beat his
either. It is a re-occurring complaint though.

I think I remember someone complained about Two Cherry's, and you can find
detractors for all those I mentioned.