Lowell Holmes wrote:
"AAvK" wrote in message
news:6pPXd.89$KK5.46@fed1read03...

I bought three new_old_stock Buck Bros. bench chisels ('60's) just

to have
a few in the largest sizes, from http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/,

these
are
hardened to RC 59.

But when in use, the Buck took on some nick-burs to the point where

it
needs
a complete new honing after only [one_session_of_many_strokes] with

mallet!!! These burs are sharp enought to feel.

I'm not an expert, but I have built two rocking chairs with over 40

m&t
joints each, using blue handled marples bench chisels and never had

that
kind of problem. One chair was walnut and the other was mesquite.

The typical complaint about Marples is the opposite of his complaint
about the vintage Bucks. Marples tend not to hold an edge implying
that they are too soft, hence the frequent honing you reccommend.

Perhpas the Buck should be ground to a steeper angle. Unless they
paring chisels in which case you shouldn't pound on them in the
first place.

--

FF