Thanks Dave. Actually, the initial repair folks quoted repairs at
almost $900 because of the parts needed, resin replacement, etc. We
were told it needed the "2nd and 3rd section" of the valve part, where
the turbines and such are housed. They also quoted us a refurbished
unit for about $650 which started our search for a new unit installed
ourselves.

Apparently, the rubber and plastic in the Kinetico is what makes it
problematic for well water since the elements in the well water (like
our excess iron and sulfur) erodes those parts. Our Kinetico is
probably over 8 years old though I'm not sure how relevant that is.