Gideon

John,

I may have not been clear in what I was saying. I don't consider fluorescent
fixtures to be unsafe. I'm just concerned about so-called nuisance tripping.

There are some devices which are completely safe, but their electronics can
confuse a GFCI. Devices such as large appliances and fluorescent light
fixtures may have no ground fault problems but they can still confuse a GFCI
and cause it to trip when really not necessary.

There is a second category of devices which can cause nuisance tripping.
This would apply to devices which have a low level of ground fault leakage,
but that ground fault is not generally considered to be a safety issue.
For example, a ceiling fan in a bathroom can collect dust which can
become damp when it is exhausting moist air. Some leakage can occur,
but it is unlikely to be a significant danger.

Once again, fluorescent lights are complete safe, but they could possibly
confuse a GFCI. I will do some benchmarks to determine how likely
they are to cause such confusion before I put them on a GFCI circuit.

If I get a chance, I'll post more explanation soon.

Gideon