Woody

Alexander Galkin wrote:
I am going to build kitchen cabinets and plan to install undercabinet and
inside cabinet lighting. Can someone advise me about the options? What's
advantage of using low voltage over 120V lighting? If low voltage is a
choice when a transformer is placed? Is transformer quite enough? What type
of bulbs are the best? What's the usual spacing between bulbs? And finally
where can I buy good quality undercabinet lighting hardware?

Alexander:

The group here has hit on two main lighting options. In addition, if
you're looking more for decorative lighting versus work lighting, you
might consider "rope lighting" which is also available at Lowes & Home
Depot. It requires a transformer as it's low voltage.

For cabinet/shelving lighting, I've used the xenon lights available at
Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10002

I picked these because they gave a warmer, yellowish glow versus the
harsher halogen light. They also have a dimmer option. They require a
transformer, but I couldn't hear it as opposed to the one in my kitchen.
Rocker has a number of "puck" lighting available and you can daisy-chain
up to 6 of these together on one transformer.

I *do* like the flourescent lighting for under cabinet "work" lighting.
Halogen seems to get too hot, and the replacement bulbs are expensive.
Flourescent lights last longer and run cool. Hope this helps.

~Mark.