oli4uk

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "oli4uk"
says...
snip
I'm liking the metal wall plate / ties idea (ss EML)

Why use a bolted-on metal plate when you can just sandwich some EML
or wire ties between the courses of the pier and the wall?
Surely the bolt-on stuff is for tying a new wall to an existing one,
when it would be difficult to fix normal ties in the old brickwork?

Hi, Another round of replies, thanks for all your help. Looking at the times
they came through, does anyone sleep ?

bigcat : less cuts of what?
- God, you don't follow my chain of thought when I don't explain myself ?
jj

- The less cuts thought was in relation to the building of the pier.

bigcat : My idea was to put a flat piece of it in each mortar course to bond
wall to pier,
the eml piece would be the size of the pier cross section plus 8" into the
walls.

- A very good idea, it might have been mentioned before, but I'd not
thought it through by that time.

bigcat : Thanks for the ratios on the pier mortar fills. Bombproof might not
be a necessity,

but I like the sound of it. :-)

Rob : Surely the bolt-on stuff is for tying a new wall to an existing one,
when it would be difficult to fix normal ties in the old brickwork?

- Fair point, bigcat's idea above covers this one.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Thanks to everyone that has entertained my questions and crappie sketches.
But without the sketches showing what I intended to do, it would have taken
up a fair few lines of text. I was planning to start next week but laying
bricks at 5C (If we're lucky) just wouldn't suite my soft office keyboard
hands. That and the confidence to order up 700+ bricks and materials.

If it's ok with everyone ... I'll grab your email address and then send you
all an email at a later date with a URL that'll hopefully show you my
masterpiece.

Cheers - Oliver.