The Natural Philosopher

David Hearn wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

S Burkey wrote:

Currently redesigning the basement kitchen in a victorian terrace (4
floors) and decided to open up the inglenook primarily to deal with
some damp problems in the kitchen as a whole.

Had the chimney sweep come last week and now we're trying to figure
out how to clean the brickwork at the back of the inglenook. They
are pretty blackened and I'd like to clean them but keep them looking
'aged'. I've got a feeling that any type of pressure washing would
damage the mortar - which is looking pretty fragile.

So how would be the best way to tackle this?

Blowlamp should burn the carbon off. And the tars.

Would this also remove soot from above an inset gas fire? Our fire (used
very infrequently), if turned up to the highest setting (rather than the
'miser' setting is has labelled on it) generates a large orange flame in one
corner which I think the previous owners used a lot by the look of the soot
markings at the back of the inset. I've often wondered how to remove this
soot. (I'm aware that it shouldn't give an orange flame and that this, with
soot markings is an indication of incomplete combustion and CO generation).

Its worth a try for sure.

Heat and oxygen will get rid of most carbon based muck one way or the other.

I have never found chemicals other than that which will.

Thanks

David