S Burkey

Default Cleaning inside inglenook fireplace

Currently redesigning the basement kitchen in a victorian terrace (4
floors) and decided to open up the inglenook primarily to deal with
some damp problems in the kitchen as a whole.

Had the chimney sweep come last week and now we're trying to figure
out how to clean the brickwork at the back of the inglenook. They are
pretty blackened and I'd like to clean them but keep them looking
'aged'. I've got a feeling that any type of pressure washing would
damage the mortar - which is looking pretty fragile.

So how would be the best way to tackle this?

We're having electrics done, replastered, floor levelled...etc
etc...so any dirty work needs to be done asap really.

[This kitchen better be fantastic once its done!!!]