David Hearn

tony sayer wrote:
Well sort of D-I-Y.. if you phone 'em up you can have your speed
upgraded for the same money. I've just had mine done from 750 to 2 Meg
and it rocks)

U can do it online, but you need to know your ntl username and
password...

Beware the caps though!

People on their 300k service (which has a notional 1GB per day cap) will
have to phone up to upgrade (to 1Mbps) because they need to accept changes
to their T&C's as you will now have only 3GB a month (approx 100MB a day).
People on their other services will be upgraded automatically (including
replacing Pace STB's which cannot handle 1Mbps) - these people will also
have a 1GB per day cap which is what you've had for a while (although not
enforced). If you're in a hurry, you can phone to get it done sooner.

Whilst previously the caps have been suggested - this time they're going to
enforce them (although only implemented later in the year). Apparently when
you exceed your cap you'll probably be dropped to around 56k or charged for
the extra usage. It also appears that they include uploads in your
allocation - not just downloads.

Once you've upgraded, you won't be able to downgrade to your previous speed
(although you can change your level to any product they currently sell as
per normaly - you'll just not be able to go to the speeds they used to do).
This affects the 300k people the most as you'll go from 1GB a day @ 300Kbps
to 100MB a day @ 1Mbps with no option to return to that old service/caps.
The only option, should you want to avoid the very low cap, is to upgrade to
their 2Mbps service which is £8 a month more with 1GB a day cap.

I'm using Netmeter to monitor my usage over a month to decide whether I
exceed, on average, 100MB a day/3GB a month. Whilst faster connections are
nice - it just means you hit the cap sooner, especially when they've reduced
the cap by a factor of 10. Speed increases 3x, cap reduces 10x.

David