Mika Lindblad

Also someone emailed me to suggest a heat gun applied to the solder
side, pointing up, and gravity or pliers or a pry to the other side.

Takes too long to heat up to solder-melting temperature. Long before
that, the components will be cooked.

They'll be fine. With correct (high enough) heat, and proper working, most
of the components will be in excellent condition.
I've even seen surface mount IC's being installed with a regular heat gun..

One must not fry the components. Just heat the solder (from the solder side
only..), hit the board lightly, and the components will drop off the board.
Well, unless their legs have been turned. In that case, it'll be a bit
trickyer.
And of course, one spot of the board must not be heated too long. That too
will cook it up.