Bill Cotton

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
news
On 8 Mar 2005 15:22:16 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) wrote:

I have two 24V electric scooters. These scooters have 250 watt motors
which equates to about 1/4 HP. I don't think that will move much snow.

Even my 36 Volt scooter only has a 350 watt motor which is still less
than 1/2 HP.

My point is that I don't think a scooter motor will have anywhere near
enough power to make a snow blower.

A car starter motor would, but they're intermittent duty 30 seconds
on, 15 minutes off - not a viable duty cycle for the use. One of the
2HP DC treadmill motors would have the oomph and the duty cycle - but
you would need some serious amp-hours from big batteries to turn it
for more than 5 minutes at a shot, and a lot of them to get 90V DC...

Then you get into the temperature effects on the batteries, unless
you store and recharge the thrower in a well heated garage, and keep
the batteries good and warm while in use, you won't get anywhere near
their rated power capacity.

Sorry, but I have to agree that the energy needs to run it properly
don't make a battery powered snow-thrower a viable idea. Unless
you're only clearing a stoop and 5 feet of walk, in which case an
extension cord shouldn't be a problem. And if using utility power is
out, that calls for a good old SHOVEL.

-- Bruce --

I use a cordless Black and Decker cordless lawn mower. I get about one hour
of run time from it, a parts list picture is here of the motor and 24 volt
battery.
http://www.billcotton.com/snow_blower.htm That replacement cost of
motor and battery are over 100 dollars each. I will be buying a replacement
battery next year, the recharge limit is due about that time. I have open
the mower to see about making the battery easy to remove for longer runs.
since I now stop and do the edge trimming while the mower in on short
charge, I put that job off. I may stop by the parts repair center and take
some measurement, I may not have to make a pulley, switch the motor each
season. That would be a blast.
I made the cutter holder and will cut the pulley soon, Flower Show today, A
Philly sign that the snow is over this year.