oli4uk wrote:

As promised, my evening update !

I'm liking the metal wall plate / ties idea (ss EML), and now also a

fence
fill

o Loads less cuts (Tidier, more stable)
o Less cuts = less mistakes = less money ;-)

less cuts of what?

Yet more details at : (Scroll to the foot of the page)
http://oli4uk.tripod.com/brickwall.htm

i didnt figure out your new diagram.

Questions, for various subscribers to the "Brick wall design"

uk.d-i-y Team
!
o I'm Ok with ss being Stainless Steel, but what does EML stand for ?

expanded metal lath, aka gauze

o For the height I'm working to (See URL above) 13 bricks (~1 metre)

what
would the cost of 4 ss EMLs be ?
- Note, it's now ~1 metre due to a fence filler panel -

1 metre high? EML comes in sheet 2.5m x .7m, cut it with tinsnips. You
can work out how many pier and a bit sized pieces you can cut out of a
sheet, and thus how many courses up a sheet wil take you. My idea was
to put a flat piece of it in each mortar course to bond wall to pier,
the eml piece would be the size of the pier cross section plus 8" into
the walls.

o Filling a hollow pier, what's the detail on performing this ?
- E.g. Is it still a 1:5 ratio, does the mortar mix need to have

more water
mixed in so to make sure it fills up nicely ?

I'd use 3 sand, 1 cement, 8 stone. 1:5 would be much weaker. Stiffer
mixes would shrink during setting, which is no good in contact with a
solid brick wall. Its also an opportunity to put some ss metal in there
if you want the wall bombproof.

If you just want to use whatever mortar youre doing the wall with, and
cant be --ed to mix a separate batch, 3:1 is good for everything, no
stone.

NT