Nick Brooks

Default Idle thoughts re generators

IMM wrote:
"Nick Brooks" wrote in message

Nick Brooks wrote:

IMM wrote:

snip
Biofuel is infinitely superior to fossil in emissions and any CO2
emitted is
neutralised by the growing process. For the USA to totally eliminate
fossil
fuels, only 105 square miles of land is required to grow this stuff.
This
is nothing to the total size of the USA.

This is the most astonishing 'fact' I've ever heard.

Nick Brooks

And despite the bad form of replying to my own post I've done some
calculations that suggest IMM may be mistaken

according to recent figures
http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/energy/stats_ctry/Stat1.html

Total annual US fossil fuel consumption ammounts to 2.28 x 10^11 (ten to
the power of 11) Kw

105 square miles = 2.71 x 10^8 square meters

which means that each square meter would have to provide 84,000KW (yes
eighty four thousand kilowatts) annually

I don't think so

Article. It says 11,000 squ miles. That is approx 105 miles x 105 miles.

http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

Yes but you said 105 square miles which is not the same at all

Nick Brooks