AAvK

Default Should I get a refund on these chisels?

I bought three new_old_stock Buck Bros. bench chisels ('60's) just to have
a few in the largest sizes, from http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/, these are
hardened to RC 59.

The blade was sharpened and back-lapped from 220-320-600-1200 papers
for both sides, strictly by hand because my basic honing guide does not hold
thick blades, I know I did it accurately though.

I cleaned up tenon cheeks (meaning not the tenons themselves), the end-flats
around the tenons that is, the wood is doug fir. I used the 2" Buck and a
26mm Stubai bench chisel.

But when in use, the Buck took on some nick-burs to the point where it needs
a complete new honing after only [one_session_of_many_strokes] with a
mallet!!! These burs are sharp enought to feel.

The Stubai chisel was used on the same job for a bit more time than the Buck
with some equally hard slamming and it took on no nick-burs in the cutting
edge, these are hardened to RC 60. Superior steel from Austria?

I can tell the Buck steel is decent, as it leaves a non gummy medium grey
powder on the paper, the Stubai leaves a non gummy, very light colored grey
powder (On yellow 220 AO from Norton).

Does anyone suspect I should get a refund on these Bucks? Pictures are on
ABPW with the title " Buck Bros. Chisels " (for searching through the illegal
mess). Thanks much for any advise but please take all factors of mine into
account...?

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com