James

Default Low Loss RG6, and other tv antenna questions ??

I live about 8 miles from 4 local tv stations, and 25 miles from a much
desired UHF station. Luckily, they are all in the same general direction.

I plan to buy a medium size vhf/uhf antenna. My coax run will be 50 feet.

Although I don't really need "gain" for the vhf stations, I do need it for
the uhf station. "Some" extra gain will be ok for the vhf stations.
Whatever the setup, I want to use the lowest-loss RG6 that I can buy.

Here are my questions:

1. Where (online or else) can I find the very best, lowest loss RG6 coax ?

2. Assuming that I need a pre-amp, if I only have a 50 ft run of low-loss
coax, will my system work well if I mount the preamp at the tv end of the
50 ft coax, as compared to putting it at the antenna? I realize the
advantage of mounting at the antenna, yet I would like the convenience of
having the pre-amp inside. I am considering an adjustable pre-amp, and that
would be more usuable if I had it at the tv instead of at the antenna.

3. Will a brick chimney (with no steel liner or inserts) about 20 feet from
the antenna, but in-line with the desired stations, attenuate the signals
??

4. Are the Radio Shack pre-amps decent ??

My thoughts: Perhaps I will get a pre-amp that will produce about 20 db
of gain. I will mount it inside. The 50 ft of coax will have a loss of
perhaps 5 db, so I have a net of 15 db gain at the tv. This will be more
than enough for the vhf stations that are pretty close, but I am not sure
about the uhf station 25 miles away. It would seem to be good enough for
that as well.

What do you think ?? Thanks for any advice !!

--james--