AutoTracer

Wire it like a normal light with two 3-way switches or one single pole
switch. Motion detectors often have a feature where it will remain on if
you flip the switch off and on. Do it again and it goes back into motion
detecting mode. No fancy wiring required.

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'd like to control a porch light with both a switch and a motion
detector. Switch on, light on; switch off, light on motion detector.
I've come up with two ways to wire this using a 3 Way Switch (DPST,
right?). Here are diagrams of the hot side:

Incoming ------------- 3 Way Switch ------------ Light
Power | A | B Common
| |
---- Motion ----
Detector

Incoming ------------ 3 Way Switch ---------- Light
Power Common | A B |
| |
---- Motion ----
Detector

The second way would be easier to wire (less box fill at the switch),
but I think it wouldn't work, as it presents the Motion Detector with
120V at its output when the switch is in position B. I'm assuming the
Motion Detector will require a neutral and will be quite unhappy to
have 120V at its output. Is this correct?

Is everything OK with the first diagram?

Thanks, Wayne