Wayne Whitney

Default 120V Wiring Diagram Question

Hello,

I'd like to control a porch light with both a switch and a motion
detector. Switch on, light on; switch off, light on motion detector.
I've come up with two ways to wire this using a 3 Way Switch (DPST,
right?). Here are diagrams of the hot side:

Incoming ------------- 3 Way Switch ------------ Light
Power | A | B Common
| |
---- Motion ----
Detector

Incoming ------------ 3 Way Switch ---------- Light
Power Common | A B |
| |
---- Motion ----
Detector

The second way would be easier to wire (less box fill at the switch),
but I think it wouldn't work, as it presents the Motion Detector with
120V at its output when the switch is in position B. I'm assuming the
Motion Detector will require a neutral and will be quite unhappy to
have 120V at its output. Is this correct?

Is everything OK with the first diagram?

Thanks, Wayne