oli4uk

First thought is why the wall's stretcher bond - is it to match existing
brickwork? I'm probably going to be replacing a fence with a 1/2 wall,
1/2
fence, with piers arrangement this year & I'm going with english bond or
english wall bond & 1 1/2 brick piers. I've planned to build the piers
hollow & then fill with mortar & reinforcing rod for additional strenght.

From memory, http://www.pavingexpert.com/ has some guidance on wall
construction which may be of some use.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

As promised, my evening update !

I'm liking the metal wall plate / ties idea (ss EML), and now also a fence
fill

o Loads less cuts (Tidier, more stable)
o Less cuts = less mistakes = less money ;-)

Yet more details at : (Scroll to the foot of the page)
http://oli4uk.tripod.com/brickwall.htm

Questions, for various subscribers to the "Brick wall design" uk.d-i-y Team
!
o I'm Ok with ss being Stainless Steel, but what does EML stand for ?
o For the height I'm working to (See URL above) 13 bricks (~1 metre) what
would the cost of 4 ss EMLs be ?
- Note, it's now ~1 metre due to a fence filler panel - Diagram at the foot
of the URL
o Filling a hollow pier, what's the detail on performing this ?
- E.g. Is it still a 1:5 ratio, does the mortar mix need to have more water
mixed in so to make sure it fills up nicely ?

....and to share some of the more useful URLs I found on the web :

http://www.ibstock.uk.com/self-build...ads.asp?pNum=2

This is a cool page :
http://www.ibstock.uk.com/highlights...tor.asp?pNum=2

http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur03.htm