Adrian

Default Secondhand washing machine motor

Hi Peter

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:08:46 +0100, Adrian
wrote:

a) What's the usual connection arrangement for washing machine motors nowadays
- if the additional cables are for alternative speeds then all I need is
1750rpm

With the most common Hotpoint and Hoover motors then without any
control gear you will get nearer 17,000 off load before the motor
leaves this plane of existence!

Aha - so the technology _has_ moved on... thought it might have!

b) When disembowelling a washing machine to get at the motor, how much of the
'peripheral' bits do I need to collect in order to ensure a working setup.

Motor, capacitor (don't mix up with noise filter) and control board
preferably with socket.

Sounds less than straightforward...
Funny - all the references on the web seem to refer to 'second-hand washing
machine motors' as though they're simple to use....

I realise that the precise details may vary between manufacturers and models -
but generic advice would be appreciated.

There are two good books on the subject, "Electric Motors in the Home
Workshop" ISBN 1-85486-133-6 and "Electric Motors" ISBN
0-85242-914-2"

A recent article in Model Engineering Workshop also covered the
subject of Hotpoint and Hoover motors.

OK - thanks - I'll see if I can find copies of those books in the Library.

Many thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK