Lobster

Charlie wrote:

We need a new cooker, as the old electric one is mucky and half
broken. We'd like to go dual-fuel, i.e. a gas hob and electric oven.
I've already fitted some kitchen units - but not the worktop yet - and
I can't decide whether to go with a separate hob and oven or a
free-standing 'slot-in' cooker.

Does anyone have any opinions? It seems that buying a dual-fuel
slot-in can be cheaper than the two separate bits - for example this
one:
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/279_211788.html
has a double oven as well.

I'm sure it will be cheaper buying the slot-in job; also presumably you
haven't included the ridiculous cost of a base unit in which to fit the
oven, and maybe an extra metre of worktop?

Most of this is simply about fashion - the vogue is for built-in
appliances (fridge/feezer/dishwasher/oven etc), and you pay a premium
for that. Any estate agent will tell you that buyers want built-in
stuff, and a slot-in is likely to affect sellability of your house. If
that's not an issue for you, and you don't inherently mind a slot-in
oven, then I should go for that!

David