Rex B

Karl Townsend wrote:
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

What is the procedure for broaching on a lathe? I thought it was done
using
a press. Since I have no experience with the procedure, could you be more
specific?

This is easy to show, hard to describe. In this case, for 1/4" square, mount
a 1/4" tool bit in a tool holder so its aligned with the axis of the lathe.
Sharpen bit so it cuts on one side. With the lathe off, and your part held
in a faceplate, four jaw, or whatever, rock the carriage back and forth.
Move cross slide to incease depth of cut. I've seen an article on this
somewhare, maybe someone can post a link.

Same idea can also be done on the mill, but the quill lever is nowhere near
as stout. easy to break something in your mill.

One of the old PM articles showed how to make a lever-operated broach
that attaches to the tailstock. Looked a lot like a collet closer.
You could hold the work in the chuck or mounted to the crossslide or
toolpost.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer