Karl Townsend

"Dan Miller" wrote in message
I need to make a slot with square ends in a steel bar (0.25" wide and about
0.5" long). I'm thinking of using a 2 flute end mill and then sqaring up
the corners with a file but wonder if there is a more precise way do do
this with a broach or something? Any suggestions?

Me thinks you mean a pocket 0.250" x 0.500" x ?? deep. If'n you don't have
an EDM handy, consider drilling four very small holes at the pocket corners
first, gets rid of most of your filing work. If your part can stand it,
drill right at the corners so you actually make the pocket a bit wider and
longer right in the corner. With a very small drill, the extra clearance is
almost undetectable.

Follow up from here with a small endmill.

If you mean a through hole, then its very easy to just file the corners
square. Or broach on a lathe.

Karl