The Natural Philosopher

Default Idle thoughts re generators

Andy Hall wrote:

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:33:11 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:24:03 +0100, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

The really big problem of recycling, is how to break teh materials

down

to the cionstituent parts. Nio amount of recycling that doesn't

involve

e.g. more energy than making from scratch is going to make a clear

glass

bottle from a green one.

No, you recycle green glass into green bottles, etc etc

Does this actually happen, though? I read a piece in The Independent
last year about glass recylcing which said that coloured glass currently
ends up in landfill anyway.

Doubt it, can you find anything on the web that backs this up?

I've seen it being tipped at a landfill site. Unfortunately I didn't
have my camera with me.....

Yes, many councils that do not have huge landfill problems have
isntitired the par that costs the taxpayer monye - bringing bottles to
teh bank - but not teh part that costs them money - recycling.

MUCH essier to emty a bottle bank or five than 300 waste bins.

It costs YOU more, but looks good on teh tax bills. They can then spend
the money in installing more speed bumps in your raod so you can get to
burn more fuel negoitioating them, and buy new shock absorbers every 2
years instead of every 10...

Government exists promarily to justify its own existence. This is done
by creating 'issues' and using them as an excuse to raise taxes to
support yet more bureacrats, or line their own pockets. What is not
required is that problems of a real and urgent nature be solved. All
that is requied is that obvious efforts to solve them are apparently
being made...since there is now no education of an intellectual or
scientific nature, and the average person can no longer even add up
without a calculator, its easier to talk in pictures and fool everybody
all of the time.

So we have bottle banks. And ban hunting. Meanwhile we burn ever more
irreplaceable fuel on congested rodas making journets we don't need to
make, and fill out ever more paper forms to explain why we exceeeded teh
speed limit on the only clear stretch of road for 200 miles.

In short, the fgovernment and the powers that be respond only to media
pressure, not to actual calculations by sober men.

"Toujours bolleaux"

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl