Grant Erwin

Dan Miller wrote:

I need to make a slot with square ends in a steel bar (0.25" wide and
about 0.5" long). I'm thinking of using a 2 flute end mill and then
sqaring up the corners with a file but wonder if there is a more precise
way do do this with a broach or something? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan Miller
Seattle WA.

Is this a through slot or a blind slot? If it's a through slot, then
you can use a 1/4" lathe bit and stroke the slot end square using a
mill quill or lathe carriage feed. Or, you can broach the hole if you
go to the trouble of making up a guide. If it's a blind slot, then you
could EDM it, I suppose.

GWE