SQLit

"Daniel" wrote in message
news:QVGXd.49095$Ze3.13166@attbi_s51...
I'm finishing off a new bathroom in the basement, and am at the point

where
the ceramic tile flooring needs to go down.

I'm getting mixed answers to questions re whether to use floor leveler.

My
basement floor is level but uneven; in other words, it's not a smooth
surface, is pock-marked and "grainy." It was also painted at one time,

but
most of the paint has worn off.

I'm inclined to put the floor leveler down to eliminate concerns about
applying the tile to a level floor; however, I've had one "knowledgable"
person tell me I'd have to etch the floor first or the leveler won't

stick.

I've had a couple other people tell me the best foundation for ceramic

tile
IS concrete, and that the pock-marks won't be a problem if I just go ahead
and fill them in with mortar.

So, at this point I'm wondering if there's any advantage at all in putting
down the leveler. I want the job done right, but I must say my attitude
goes south at the prospect of etching the concrete before I proceed.

Anyone put ceramic tile on a "rough" concrete floor? What were the

results?
Suggestions?

Thanks.

I always etch with muratic acid and a lot of ventilation. Neutralize with
baking soda in water and vacuum up the residue using a wet vac. Then using
a roto hammer I purposely rough the floor area. Let dry then using thin-set
and a notched trowel that will cover up the low spots not exceeding 1/2 of a
inch: lay the tile. The thin set will bond to the etched concrete well as
long as the paint is removed. If you use 1/2" of thin set, it could take a
week or more depending on the temp and humidity.
Using the thin set as a bed is a established method of leveling the finished
floor tile.