Goedjn

I was just out shopping for a very specific patterned carpet by Shaw.

At Lowe's $2.50 sq ft.
At Home Depot Expo store $3.50 sq ft
At Carpet One (independent retailer) $4.50 sq. ft.

Now the gentleman at Carpet One who was the most knowledgeable (or the best
BS'er g) claimed that Lowe's/Home Depot are selling an inferior product,
even though they are all Shaw (with different style names), with the same
pattern, and to my eye, look identical... Not sure what to beleive here...
Would Shaw make a cheaper product on the production line for the big box
stores and something better for the "real" carpet stores?

Yes. But the guy saying his is better should be able to show you why
his is better.