Nate Weber

Tim Zimmerman wrote:
"Tim Zimmerman" wrote

This Craftsman mower won't start after I left covered outside for a
month...What are some steps I could do in order to get this
mower starting again?

Hi,
Got it started. Turns out ether worked, as suggested. Thanks all. But, new
problems came up. Let's see if someone can pick one to solve.

1) It won't run when pushed.
The end of the loose dangling wire mentioned earlier is giving out sparks,
this could be the problem. As long as I don't push it the mower will run
for 20 minutes then shut-down.

Does the wire lead to a box that says "Series 4" or similar?
That's the kill for the deadman, When the deadman bar is released
it grounds out the coil as well as applys a brake to the flywheel.

2) It won't start without ether.
This is the reason why the air filter was thrown out in the first place since it
ran fine without it, or doesn't it? I will look for a new filter box. I even dump
out the old debris collecting gas when overhauling the carb.

Probably gummed carb. Pull the carb off the gas tank and check if the
intake tubes are plugged.
I may have an old filter box in my pile of junk that you can have for
the shipping charge if interested.

3) Flywheel bearing seizes after 30-secs.
I lube the one-way bearing with no luck. I will replace the bearing but
not sure how. In order to keep the mower running I would have to
remove the cover with the reel ( labeled Briggs & Stratton) or otherwise
it will screech to a halt.

Once that starts seizing up it has to be replaced. The ratchet balls
eventually wear grooves in the housing and bind up the works. It's
about $15 and you need a special tool P/N 19244.
All ya do is take off the cowling, remove and ground the spark plug wire,
block the blade then unscrew it using the special tool. Installation is
reverse but ya torque the clutch to 55 ft.lbs.

Nate