toller

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "toller"
wrote:
Its funny, the main breaker is no more dangerous than an outlet, but it is
somehow terrifying.

What on earth are you talking about? The main breaker is dangerous as
hell,
and it _should_ be at least a bit scary. There's _no_way_ to disconnect
power
from it without pulling the meter or disconnecting at the transformer:
those
lugs are _always_ hot and therefore always dangerous.

I still get nervous when I check for tightness every
now and then.

What, exactly, are you checking for tightness? The lugs that hold your
service
entrance cables to the main breaker? Do you not realize that those lugs
are
hot?

Yes I realize they are hot. I also realize that aluminum wire connections
should be tightened periodically.
They only have 120v on them! An insulated allen wrench and you are good to
go.

Do you shut off the main breaker when you change a branch breaker? Then why
are you concerned about the main breaker?