manhattan42

Doug Wrote:

Humm,
Another case where the codes seem to be regulating blindly.
Why must everything be so rigidly standardized?

I've seem several open stringer and open tread staircases that were
architecturally designed and quite safe.
They often were fabricated of ornamental steel or engineered lumber.

I also installed a 28" wide tread spiral staircase in one of my
houses. It only makes a 180 degree turn so that furniture can still be
lifted up. It is supported by a 6" steel center post and has perfectly
adequate hand rails. No other solution was possible to reach a new
upper level, aside from building a side addition on the house.

Yep, it violated codes - it's my house and my choice.
If the building inspector had made a real issue over it, I wouldn't
have backed down - take me to court is my viewpoint.

It seems like too many folks have been willing to cede their rights in
exchange for "perfect" safety that can never be truly achieved.

Doug

Fortunately, however, the codes are not drafted 'blindly' and are
offered in well thought out response to scientific research or
statistical analysis to actual tragedies and only with the best
interest of public safety in mind.

Architecturally designed stairs might indeed be 'safe', but according
to who's standard and who's liability?

The fact that you have no concern for the codes or the law really only
serves to illustrate that there are those in this world who have no
concern for anyone else but themselves and their wallet.

And it is a shortsighted concern, because it fails to consider what may
be considered 'safe' for an adult may not be 'safe' for an infant or
child or elderly person...and does not take into account the fact in
all likelihood someone else is going to buy and own your mistakes and
the hazzards that lie within one day.

Ignoring building codes also passes the cost of non-compliance onto
those of us who do comply.

How?

By the innocent and law abiding having to pay in the form of increased
insurance premiums and taxes the settlement of lawsuits and medical
expenses and government intrusions because of those who have maimed
and killed by the irresponsible ownership and maintenance of their
private properties.

Your 'rights' end when they infringe on another's rights.

And others have a 'right' to be safe and kept free from bodily injury
even if it is in your private home...and the building codes ensure
other's health and well being even if it is in your private home..

I welcome the building codes who protect us from people who completely
ignore them and who want to take away our reasonable expectation of and
right to be safe.

--
manhattan42
manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=46