Peter

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:16:52 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

But if the application contains untruths wouldn't that invalidate its
approval?

Yes, with respect to the encroaching pieces.

However even if a neighbour does not object to such an encroachment
for the purposes of the application, it does not give applicant an
interest in the neighbour's land with respect to the encroachments.

The key point here is that the 'neighbour' effectively wants the
Council to carry out his 'dirty work' in order to retain good
neighbourly relations (this being a very important and noble
objective) and avoid paying legal fees, and the Act quite sensibly
mandates such an approach.

Not living in UK I was unaware of whether the UK Act had such a
provision - the equivalent where I am also has a similar requirement.